Foundations of Child-Centered Play Therapy
This workshop is designed to provide participants with an introduction to play therapy principles and an in depth look at the foundational principles of the theoretical model of Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will assess the importance of play in child development, healthy relationships, communication and in processing difficult experiences.
- Participants of this workshop will identify Axline’s 8 Basic Principles of Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will identify typical thematic stages of Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will assess and demonstrate therapeutic responses utilized in Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will create a list of recommended toys for the implementation of Child-Centered Play Therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will experience the development of a Tote Bag Playroom and assess the best practices for organizing the Child-Centered playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate themes in play therapy and their possible meaning to the child as described by Dr. Helen Benedict, RPT-S.
- Participants of this workshop will identify and experience a variety of directive expressive play therapy interventions, consider the intervention’s therapeutic value, as well as identify strategies to adapt the intervention in order to meet the unique needs of the client.
Instructor: Lori Peterson, LSCSW, LCSW, RPT-S
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.