Play Therapy with Abuse and Trauma
This experiential workshop will examine various types of abuse and trauma, including domestic violence, sexual abuse, physical abuse and sex trafficking as it relates to play therapy. This workshop will analyze common play themes within the context of abuse and trauma, identify appropriate play therapy treatment techniques and discuss vicarious traumatization.
- Participants of this workshop will identify three main forms of child abuse and key factors to consider when providing play therapy for individuals who have experienced abuse.
- Participants of this workshop will create a treatment plan with specific play therapy techniques that are demonstrated through instruction, case studies, and experiential engagement.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze research on how trauma can effect an individual’s physical and mental health and how it can be used to inform play therapy treatment.
- Participants of this workshop will identify at least five play therapy techniques that can assist the therapist in increasing a client’s feelings of safety and security in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will further assess their own knowledge on mandated reporting and will identify any potential barriers and challenges to working with clients after child abuse and neglect reports have been made on a caregiver.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate at least eight play therapy techniques that can be utilized to decrease trauma symptoms during individual child and/or family therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will identify key concepts of vicarious trauma and will be provided the opportunity for self-reflection and experiential engagement to explore their own experience with vicarious trauma.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the stages of Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and discuss how play therapy can be utilized within this model.
- Participants of this workshop will create a plan on how to determine when an individual is ready to end therapy and will describe at least three play therapy techniques that will aid the therapist in providing a healthy transition from therapy.
Instructor: Kerri Koehler-Butt, LCSW, LCSW, RPT-S
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.