Special Topics in Play Therapy: Adolescents & Groups
This workshop will help play therapists identify the significance of identity development in adolescence. This workshop will provide an overview of play therapy methods and techniques in the treatment of adolescents and groups.
- Participants of this workshop will examine adolescent identity development and how it is influenced by the play therapy group process.
- Participants of this workshop will identify risk factors and protective factors relative to adolescence through the play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will develop strategies for helping parents and caregivers better understand how to relate to their adolescent in productive and playful ways.
- Participants of this workshop will examine basic brain development and identify the changes that occur in the brain during adolescence and how this can effect treatment planning in the play therapy and/or clinical setting.
- Participants of this workshop will examine how trauma during adolescence affects brain development and plan play therapy interventions to assist in describing this affect to the adolescent client.
- Participants of this workshop will identify the stages of group development through a play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will create a list of the play therapist’s duties and responsibilities as a group facilitator during various stages of group development.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate the roles group members may assume at various points in the group process, and increase their skills for managing hindering roles through a play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will select play therapy interventions that are appropriate for various stages of group development.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the ethics in play therapy with adolescents and in group work.
Instructor: Danna Dahl, LCPC, LCMFT
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to Heartlandpti@gmail.com no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.