Special Topics in Play Therapy: The Adult Inner Child and Grief
Adult Inner Child – Day 1
Research shows that childhood trauma compromises neurological developments and increases risk for immediate and long term effects. People who experience childhood trauma often struggle with unmet emotional needs as they mature into adulthood. This play therapy workshop will explain the need and benefits of accessing, healing and honoring the inner child through play therapy. Workshop participants will examine why there is no such thing as “age appropriate” when it comes to play!
Grief – Day 2
Grief comes in many forms. Grief can be a challenging topic and processing it can be even more challenging. This workshop will examine the various forms of grief, as well as demonstrate experiential play therapy techniques and tools in navigating grief work in a play therapy setting. Participants will take a journey through the stages of grief and demonstrate hands on tools and techniques for each stage. A systemic, as well as client-centered approach, will be discussed and processed. Time to bust out some kleenex!
- Participants of this workshop will analyze the history of inner child work as it relates to play therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the need to incorporate the inner child with play therapy techniques based on brain development and research.
- Participants of this workshop utilize a six-step process of healing trauma within the inner child with use of play therapy techniques.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze categories of grief and loss through a play therapy lens.
- Participants of this workshop will assess important characteristics, functioning levels, and attributes of a child and/or an adult client to appropriately navigate the process of grief as it relates to play therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will identify developmental reactions and responses to the grief process utilizing play therapy techniques.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the unique role of the play therapist while navigating grief in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will identify the stages of dying while demonstrating at least 8 play therapy skills and techniques to work with the child and the parent system in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will explore and share about cultural diversity within grief work in child and adult therapy.
Instructor: Amber Johnson, LCPC, RPT-S
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.