Special Topics in Play Therapy: Assessment, Treatment Planning & Autism
This workshop will prepare participants to work with Autism Spectrum Disorder and to analyze and create specific play therapy interventions to assist in treatment planning for this community. This workshop will also examine several play therapy assessments, and participants will have the opportunity to create treatment plans within the scope of play therapy theory.
**Please note this workshop includes 7 Autism Diagnostic CE Hours for licensure renewal.
- Participants of this workshop will compare and contrast specific projective play assessments and examine how to process and gather further information with children for individual and family therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will assess examples from play therapy sessions of how trauma, abuse and neglect can impact a child’s artwork and creative development.
- Participants of this workshop will practice using mediums such as puppets, creative arts, and movement in the context of play therapy for initial rapport building and assessments.
- Participants of this workshop will identify ways to incorporate play therapy approaches into goal setting as part of their therapeutic treatment plan.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze and discuss the criteria specific to Autism Spectrum Disorder and the symptoms seen in everyday home, school, play therapy and/or clinical settings.
- Participants of this workshop will view demonstrations of play therapy activities and approaches that promote social skills among those diagnosed with ASD and create a list of these approaches specific to their clients to increase overall progress in the playroom.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate 5 play therapy techniques to use with children who have lower and/or heightened sensory input and develop sensory friendly stimulus to use within their play therapy practice.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze and list key concepts of identifying at-risk children who show early signs of ASD through their play and discuss how this effects overall treatment planing in their play therapy practice.
- Participants of this workshop will gain confidence and become prepared to utilize play therapy approaches when working with the ASD community in order to enhance their overall effectiveness in the playroom.
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.