Theories of Play Therapy
This workshop is designed to provide the participant with a practical introduction to theories that have contributed to the development of Theories of play therapy. Participants will identify specific play therapy techniques in each model through lecture, demonstration and video.
- Participants of this workshop will participate in a pre/post-test to examine their theoretical orientation within the play therapy field.
- Participants of this workshop will create a time line of play therapy outlining the theories that have influenced and contributed to play therapy since the beginning.
- Participants of this workshop will examine the theory of Child-Centered Play Therapy and the framework it has provided to play therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will demonstrate up to to six play therapy theoretical approaches along with the basic fundamentals and assumptions of each theory as it pertains to play therapy.
- Participants of this workshop will identify the role of the play therapist within each theory discussed.
- Participants of this workshop will analyze treatment approaches in each theoretical model and how to incorporate play therapy techniques specific to each theory.
- Participants of this workshop will experientially examine and discuss the toys and materials needed within each theory to effectively implement play therapy during a child therapy session.
- Participants of this workshop will create a list of books, sources and resources for each theory examined through the play therapy lens.
Amber Johnson, LCPC, RPT-S in Kansas City, Omaha and Wichita
Alicia Johnson-Turner in Kansas City, St. Louis and NW Arkansas
12:30-1:00 Sign in, Play Check-In and Overview
1:00-3:00 Workshop Presentation
3:15-5:30 Training Continues
6:00-7:15 Continue Training
7:30-8:30 Training Continues with Conclusion of Day One
8:30-10:00 Sign-In, Play Check-In and Continue Training
10:00-10:10 Morning Break
10:10-12:00 Training Continues
1:00-2:30 Training Continues
2:30-2:40 Early Afternoon Break
2:40-4:00 Training Continues
4:00-4:10 Afternoon Break
4:10-6:00 Training Continues, Wrap-up and Evaluations
- Withdrawal requests should be submitted by email to Heartlandpti@gmail.com no later than 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date in order to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee. Withdrawal requests that are submitted after 7 calendar days prior to the scheduled workshop date will result in a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $50 administrative fee for a 2-day workshops and a $25 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- If a student does not attend a workshop and does not submit a withdrawal request as outlined in the previous sections by the time the workshop is concluded, within 5 business days Heartland Play will issue a refund of the paid workshop fee – with the exception of a $100 administrative fee for 2-day workshops and a $50 administrative fee for 1-day workshops.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to insufficient enrollment. Heartland Play will email workshop students at least 5 calendar days in advance of the scheduled workshop date to notify students of the cancellation. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of paid workshop fees.
- Heartland Play reserves the right to cancel a workshop due to inclement weather, instructor illness or instructor family emergency. If a workshop is canceled, students will be notified via e-mail prior to the workshop start time. Heartland Play will notify the students of a reschedule date for the workshop within 10 calendar days of the cancelled workshop. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for the future course date or to receive a full refund of the paid workshop fee.